News

Penelope Cruz gives birth to baby girl

Penelope Cruz gives birth to baby girl

Penelope Cruz gave birth to her second child with husband Javier Bardem. Photo: WENN

MADRID (Reuters) – Oscar-winning Spanish actress Penelope Cruz gave birth to her second child with husband Javier Bardem, a girl, on Monday in a Madrid hospital, a source familiar with the situation said.

Spanish media reported the birth earlier on Tuesday, citing a hospital representative, though Madrid’s Clinica Ruber declined to confirm the news and representatives for Cruz and Bardem could not be reached for comment.

Cruz, 39, was still in hospital on Tuesday, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

She married fellow Oscar winner Bardem in 2010 and the couple had their first child, a boy named Leo, in Los Angeles two and half years ago.

Cruz and Bardem are the only Spanish actors to have won academy awards, both for supporting roles. They first met on the set of a Spanish film in 1992 but got together after starring in Woody Allen’s 2008 comedy “Vicky Cristina Barcelona”.

They are due to appear together in supporting roles in “The Counselor”, a film directed by Ridley Scott, scheduled for release later this year.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Drunk Boating Monitored

Boater

Law enforcement officers were scattered around Iowa last weekend monitoring lakes and rivers for drunk boaters as part of the national Operation Dry Water campaign.

in Local

Less Bacteria, More Algae in Iowa Lakes

lake

Sunny days with less rainfall have helped clear up some of the bacteria problems in the water at Iowa park beaches.

in Local

Iowa Governor Vetoes School Spending

Money Dollars

Iowa Governor Terry Branstad has been hinting for weeks that he was unhappy with the legislature's bipartisan compromise on education funding.

in Local

Caution Needed With Fireworks Displays

fireworks

Everyone loves a backyard fireworks display or attending a big show on the 4th of July.

in Local

OSHA Investigating Nebraska Explosion

firetruck lights

The U-S Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration opened an investigation into Wednesday's explosion at Sapp Bros. in West Point, Nebraska.