News

Powerball ticket worthless as $16M jackpot goes unclaimed

Powerball ticket worthless as $16M jackpot goes unclaimed

MAYBE THEY DIDN'T NEED THE MONEY? : A Powerball jackpot goes unclaimed. Photo: Reuters

MIAMI (Reuters) – A Powerball ticket worth $16 million became worthless on Friday after a six-month deadline for the winner to claim the prize money expired, Florida lottery authorities said.

“It’s only happened a few other times, so this is really, really unusual,” said Florida Lottery spokeswoman Amy Bisceglia.

“It could have been anything, from somebody forgetting about it in the laundry, or just throwing it away. We have no idea what happened,” Bisceglia said, when asked how the ticket holder could not have claimed the fortune.

The ticket became worthless when a 180-day deadline to claim the jackpot expired at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Bisceglia said.

It was the largest unclaimed jackpot in Florida since 2003, when a $53.7 million jackpot expired.

The winning numbers were 2, 6, 19, 21, 27 and a Powerball number of 25.

The winning ticket was purchased in May at the Carollwood Market, a convenience store in Tampa.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Iowa Rolls Out Messaging System

Fresh
Iowa state capital

The Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management rolled out a new statewide electronic notification and emergency messaging system at the department's annual conference in Des Moines.

in Local

Iowa Unemployment Higher

Fresh
employment help wanted

The Iowa Workforce Development agency is reporting the state's unemployment rate rose to 4.6 percent in September from 4.5 percent in August.

in Local

TransCanada Committed To Pipeline

Fresh
Trans Canada sign 040814

A TransCanada executive denies an ambitious new project by the company is being undertaken as an alternative to the Keystone XL pipeline.

in Local

Flu Shots Encouraged

Fresh
flu

State health officials urge Nebraskans to get vaccinated for the flu.

in Local

Today Is Winter Awareness Day

WinterWx

Today is “Winter Weather Awareness Day” in South Dakota.