News

Obama sends $60M war-funding request to Congress

Obama sends $60M war-funding request to Congress

WAR SPENDING:U.S. President Barack Obama participates in a town hall meeting at Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis, June 26. Photo: Reuters/Larry Downing

By David Alexander

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The White House sent Congress a 2015 war-funding request on Thursday of nearly $60 billion, a drop of $20 billion from the current fiscal year after President Barack Obama decided to withdraw all but 9,800 troops from Afghanistan by Dec. 31.

Obama, in a letter to the House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner, asked for $58.6 billion for the war in Afghanistan and other overseas military activity, the smallest Pentagon war-funding request in a decade.

In addition to funding the Afghanistan war, the request also seeks $500 million to support Syria’s moderate opposition, $1.5 billion to support stability in the countries bordering Syria that have been flooded with refugees and $140 million for non-operational training in Iraq.

The administration request was about $20 billion less than the current fiscal year, which ends on Sept. 30, and $20 billion less than the $79.4 billion place-holder figure in its budget submission to Congress in February.

The request to Boehner also included $1.4 billion in Overseas Contingency Operations funds for the State Department, bringing its total request to $7.3 billion. The department had asked for $5.9 billion for overseas operations in its February budget.

The Overseas Contingency Operations request on Thursday included $5 billion for a new Counterterrorism Partnership Fund and $1 billion for a European Reassurance Initiative. About $5 billion of the total would fall under the Pentagon’s budget and the remainder under the State Department.

The White House said the counterterrorism fund would be used to respond to emerging threats by “empowering and enabling our partners around the globe.”

About $2.5 billion would go to train and equip nations fighting terrorist groups that threaten the United States and its allies. The fund, for example, would cover the cost of sending U.S. commandos to train troops in other countries.

The administration proposed spending up to $140 million to provide assistance to Baghdad, including non-operational training to help Iraqi forces address shortfalls in intelligence gathering, air sovereignty, logistics, maintenance and combined arms operations.

Senator Carl Levin, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, welcomed the funding request, saying the $500 million to support Syrian opposition members matched language supported by members of his panel.

Representative Buck McKeon, Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said his panel would examine the request closely, especially the new counterterrorism fund, but warned: “Congress is not a rubber stamp.”

(Additional reporting by Steve Holland and Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)

Recent Headlines

12 hours ago in Local

Health Organizations in Nebraska Watching the Zika Virus

mosquito

Health organizations are carefully monitoring the spread of the Zika virus after a large outbreak in May of last year in Brazil.

19 hours ago in Local

Property Tax Debate Continues in Nebraska

nebraska-state-capital

Governor Pete Ricketts told a legislative committee Nebraskans demand property tax relief...and the Unicameral needs to respond this year.

22 hours ago in Local

SD Legislature Keeps Conceal Carry Bill Alive

ruger gun

The South Dakota House State Affairs Committee narrowly passed a bill that would allow people with an enhanced concealed weapons permit to possess those weapons in the state Capital and any county courthouse.

22 hours ago in Local

SD Counties Have to Wait for Additional Dollars

state capitol pierre

South Dakota Governor Dennis Daugaard has told county commissions to “be patient” as money from taxes and fees that were raised last year flow to local governments.

1 day ago in Local

Minnesota Governor Dayton See Fire Damage in Medelia

dayton

Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton was in Madelia and got a first-hand-look at the damage from this week's fire that leveled several businesses along Main Street.