News

Man wakes up in body bag at funeral home

Man wakes up in body bag at funeral home

BACK FROM THE DEAD: Early Thursday, workers at Porter and Sons Funeral Home were preparing to embalm Williams when he started to kick in the body bag. Photo: clipart.com

LEXINGTON, Miss. (AP) — Workers at a Mississippi funeral home say they found a man alive and kicking when they opened a body bag.

Holmes County Coroner Dexter Howard calls it a miracle that 78-year-old Walter Williams is alive.

The coroner was called to Williams’ home in Lexington, a community north of Jackson, where family members believed he had died.

Howard says Williams had no pulse and was pronounced dead Wednesday at 9 p.m.

Early Thursday, workers at Porter and Sons Funeral Home were preparing to embalm Williams when he started to kick in the body bag.

Family members were called and Williams was taken to a hospital. Howard says he believes Williams’ pacemaker stopped working, then started again.

Family members say Williams, a farmer, told them he’s happy to be alive.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Farmer Dies In Combine Accident, Neighbors Respond

Fresh
combine

A northwest Iowa farmer died Friday evening in a combine accident on a gravel road and the next morning over three dozen of his neighbors showed up for work in Gene Sitzmann's field.

in Local

Candidates Spar On Obamacare

Fresh
WP-Microphone

In the Nebraska Senate race, there are a few issues that the two major candidates have major disagreements.

in Local

New Jobs For Western Iowa

Fresh
employment

he Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) board last week approved state incentives for a railcar maintenance facility.

in Local

Fischer Tours Nuke Sites

Fresh
Capitol 2014 3

Nebraska Senator Deb Fischer has returned to Washington after touring the three nuclear weapon facilities in the United States.

in Local

Radon Testing Encouraged

radon

This week is National Radon Action Week, and the Cancer Prevention Center is encouraging radon testing to reduce the number of Americans exposed to the gas.