News

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (68) and tackle Jonathan Martin (71) looks over plays during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013 in Miami Gardens, Fla. Photo: Associated Press/Wilfredo Lee

MIAMI (Reuters) – The Miami Dolphins said they have indefinitely suspended offensive lineman Richie Incognito for “conduct detrimental to the team.”

The suspension was announced on Sunday night, hours after the Dolphins said they and the National Football League (NFL) were investigating bullying and abuse allegations made by offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

“We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time,” the Dolphins said in announcing Incognito’s suspension.

The NFL said in a statement: “We have been in contact with the team on this matter since last week and will conduct a thorough review.”

Earlier on Sunday, the Dolphins said they had received notifications from Martin’s representative alleging that he had been repeatedly harassed by teammates.

“We are taking these allegations very seriously,” the Dolphins said.

Martin, who was a second-round draft choice in 2012 out of Stanford University, left the team last week on a leave of absence. The 23-year-old had started every game of his rookie season and seven games this year.

The Dolphins said coach Joe Philbin and several teammates had been in touch with him and that, “Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being.”

The Dolphins did not elaborate on the allegations against Incognito. On Twitter, Incognito denied wrongdoing and demanded that his name be cleared.

The incident shines a light on rookie hazing that has long been a widespread practice in the league, though not generally known to have been taken to extremes.

ESPN reported Sunday that Incognito convinced Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas, even though Martin did not go on the trip.

Other instances of intimidation were captured on voicemails and texts, according to media reports.

Recent Headlines

2 days ago in Local

PDR Disabled You Deer Hunt Looks For Disabled Children

fawn_deer

The PDR Disabled Youth Deer Hunt is looking for disabled adolescents to attend a free whitetail deer hunt.

2 days ago in Local

Gov Dayton Says Clinton is Best Qualified for President

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaks at New York University's Kaufman Management Center

Featuring: Hillary Clinton
Where: New York City, New York, United States
When: 24 Jul 2015
Credit: Dennis Van Tine/Future Image/WENN.com

**Not available for publication in Germany, Poland, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Serbia, Croatia, Slovakia**

Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton has maintained support for Presumptive Democratic Nominee, Hillary Clinton

2 days ago in Local

Epidemiologist Warns of Ticks Over Memorial Day Weekend

Lake Oakwood Shore-approved-inhouse

With Memorial Day weekend just ahead, thousands of Nebraskans will be heading out on their first camping trips of the season -- and they'll need to take precautions against ticks.

2 days ago in Local

Iowa Police Chief Retires

police to protect and to serve approved clipart

Officials in Iowa City will be looking for a new police chief. Sam Hargadine on Monday announced his retirement, effective June 30.

3 days ago in Local

Dairy Overlay District May Come Soon to Yankton

DairyCows

The Yankton County Commission will host a public meeting this week to talk about forming a dairy overlay district.