Local

Flood Stays Out Of Race

Photo: WNAX AM

Flood Stays Out Of Race

Former Nebraska Legislative Speaker Mike Flood says he considered getting back in the race for governor after his wife’s health improved…and had set a deadline for making a decision public. . .

Flood had announced a run for governor in early November, but withdrew about a month later after Mandi Flood was diagnosed with breast cancer. Flood, a Republican state senator from Norfolk, served as Speaker of the Legislature from 2007 to 2012.  He says he has every reason to believe Mandi is cancer free. Still, he says he wants to be with his wife as she completes her treatment.

Mandi Flood has undergone chemotherapy, a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. She will finish radiation treatment in about two weeks.

Recent Headlines

in Local Sports

SDSU Women In Breeze

Fresh
jackswbbthomp

Freshman Ellie Thompson (Chaska, Minn.) recorded her first collegiate double-double as the South Dakota State University women’s basketball team picked up a 67-42 nonconference win over UALR Thursday night at Frost Arena.

in Local Sports

Coyote Women Set Record

Fresh
coyotewbb

The South Dakota women’s basketball team won its sixth-straight game and set a new USD single game scoring record during its 115-51 win over the University of Saint Mary (Kan.) on Thursday night in the DakotaDome.

in Local Sports

USD Names Tennis Coach

Fresh
tennis

Brett Barnett, the 2012 and 2014 Summit League Men’s Tennis Coach of the Year, has been named head women’s tennis coach at University of South Dakota.

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.